The summer months are the perfect time for managing users, cleaning up compliance items, and preparing for the upcoming school year by building new items. Below are a list of suggestions for administrative users to review and complete each summer.
The first step is tidying up your portal by archiving users, adding NEW users, adding PPIDs, identifying Paraeducators, excluding users from Act 48 Submissions (if applicable), managing existing user profiles, and managing groups.
1) Archive Users - Comply allows your district to archive users. Archiving a user typically happens when a user retires or leaves the school district. Click here to learn more about Archiving Users. Note - If you archive a Supervisor you will be required to reassign the item to another Supervisor.
2) Add NEW Users - There are several ways to add New Users whether it's just a few users at a time (i.e., new hires), or a large group. Click here to learn how to add New Users.
3) Add PPIDs - In order to use Comply to submit Act 48 hours to PERMS, end users will need to have their PPID numbers entered into their profile. PPID numbers can be manually entered into a user's profile or PPID numbers can be uploaded in bulk. Click here to learn more about adding PPID numbers.
4) Identifying Paraeducators - Comply can be used to track the professional development hours of paraeducators. In order for these hours to be tracked, users need to be identified as a paraeducator within the software. Click here to learn more about adding Paraeducators in User Management.
5) Exclude Users from Act 48 Submissions - If you have a user that is not a certified educator (with a PPID number) and they are not a Paraeducator, you will want to exclude them from Act 48 submission to PERMS to avoid errors. Click here to learn more about excluding users from Act 48 submissions to PERMS.
6) Name Changes - If an individual's name changes (i.e., maiden name to married name), administrative users can edit a users's profile and update last name, display name, and email address. Note - if this user also has a PA-ETEP account, their information will be updated automatically within PA-ETEP. Please know that the login credentials (username and password) for Comply and PA-ETEP are the same.
7) Manage Groups - Each summer as employees move to different buildings or change assignments, changes in Groups will need to occur. Taking time to organize all your users in groups, makes the assignment of compliance items much easier and more efficient. Click here to learn more about Group Management.
To prepare for the upcoming school year begin by duplicating items that you previously used and want to build from again, select any of our pre-made templates, or build your own customized item. For example, you may need Policy Reviews, Handbook Reviews, Emergency Contact Information, etc.
1) Duplicate Items - To reuse an item that has proven effective in the past, simply navigate to the item and click View --> Actions --> Duplicate. Once duplicated you can edit the item as needed (i.e., changing dates, reminders, approvers, etc). Items that are most likely to be duplicated for a new school year include any acknowledgment/sign-off items, inspection items, and Act 48 or professional development items. Important Note - If an item is set-up with recurrence, it does not need to be duplicated to repeat itself in the future.
2) Utilize Templates - Beyond duplicating and/or building new items, you can take advantage of and duplicate Templates. The purpose of Templates is to save administrative users time and to highlight how other clients are using Comply. Overall, there are Templates for clearances, inspections, mandated trainings, acknowledgments/sign-offs, Act 48 and more. Because Templates are being added to Comply on a regular basis, it is a good idea to review the Templates section for updates. Click here to learn how to create an item from a Template.
3) Building Customized Items - To build a new completely customized item. Click here to learn how to build a customized item.
4) Building Act 48 Items - There are two basic ways to build Act 48 items within Comply. You can build an Act 48 item for an event that already happened or build one in advance of the event (e.g., in-service, professional development session, etc.). Click here to learn how to build Act 48 items and submit hours to PERMS.
5) Building Act 114, 151, and 34 Clearance Items - Once built, these compliance items will keep track of due dates, send email reminders to your staff reminding them to complete their clearances on time, and provide your staff directions on how to complete or renew their clearances. Click here to learn how to build Act 114, 151, and 34 Clearance items.
Interested in learning what other districts are doing in Comply? Take a look at our featured Best Practices!
To learn more and see how you can easily create these items from Templates on your districts Comply portal, view our "Best Practices" Support Articles. Click here to stay current on our Best Practices.
Cleaning Up and Archiving Items
The summer months are an excellent time to clean up and archive completed items.
Things to Consider Before Archiving an Item
- Do you have users in blue "Pending" that still need to be approved? If so, review and take action to approve them.
- Do you have users who did not complete an item that is now expired? If so, take action by using the "Nudge", "Message", "Disapprove", or "Forgive" feature. Note - If you Disapprove or Forgive a user, they can no longer complete the item. However, if the item is set-up with recurrence, the user will be responsible for future cycles.
- Do you have any users with a "red clock" for Act 48 items? If so, please refer to our troubleshooting for Act 48 PERMS errors. Click here to learn more about troubleshooting an Act 48 PERMS error "red clocks".
Archiving an Item
- When items are complete and no longer need to be viewed on the All Items page, they can be archived. Click here to learn how to archive a compliance item.
- Don’t worry, you won’t lose them! Archived items are just listed elsewhere to make navigating your All Items or My Supervision Items list easier.